.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Friday, April 07, 2006

Hello Morning & the Benefits of Three Day Chag

Greeting the new day from the wrong side of sleep. Again.

There's a three day chag coming up and the kvetching has already started. The ridiculous amounts of food, the oily hair, the copious amounts of laundry, all the results of three day dedicated to complete rest.

These three days are like a shaft of sunlight breaking through the gathering stormclouds of the ending semester. Three days, homework free. Three days, when I can remember how to live instead of catching mouthfulls of food between class and a few hours of sleep, head pillowed on a textbook.

After the first day, I begin to feel human.
Come the second day, I relax, reassured that the world has indeed continued turning for 24 hours without my assistance.
On the third day, I finally look out my window at the glowing world and remember how very grateful I am to be alive and Jewish.

In galut, we have an extra day. Apparently to remind us of the Jerusalemaic nature of the calendar.

But perhaps, we who live surrounded by a world that runs ceaselessly, need a bit longer to remember that menucha not only means cessation of work, but a serenity of the soul.

10 Comments:

  • very nicely said.
    Sometimes we can’t imagine the world running it's course with us out of commission, a lesson in humility.

    on another note, I hate three consecutive days..
    (didn't turn of WV yet I see)

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 4:37 AM, April 07, 2006  

  • Here you go prag.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 8:52 AM, April 07, 2006  

  • Prag is on a mission!

    Masmida... you paint such a lovely picture, lol. Especially about the oily hair....

    By Blogger FrumGirl, at 11:21 AM, April 07, 2006  

  • I thank G-d every year that we shower and brush our teeth on holidays. Actually, I thank my Rabbi every year. I would thank him even more if he told me I was allowed to wash my hair.
    I am especially looking foward to the first bite of matzah and that great crunching sound. Then you know it's Pesach. It's funny that on Pesach we have so many rules and there are so many things we can't do, but after three days I don't think I have ever felt more free.

    By Blogger ayala, at 2:07 PM, April 07, 2006  

  • A 3 day yom tov is like a hazy dream...daven....eat...sleep...eat... sleep...daven..like a spiritual/physical orgy...

    By Blogger David_on_the_Lake, at 3:14 PM, April 09, 2006  

  • thanks Masmida, if you get too much spam I won't hold it against you if you turn it back on.

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 5:11 PM, April 10, 2006  

  • The rest is much appreciated. Especially after all the work you do to get to it. Just like shabbos. It bothers me when people complain that shabbos will be an hour longer. That they can't manage not coming online or talking on their phone over yontif. But I love it. I love laying in bed and drifting off and waking up just to drift back off again. It's a blessing.

    By Blogger Eshet Chayil, at 8:06 PM, April 10, 2006  

  • Have a great Pesach, Masmida!

    By Blogger FrumGirl, at 12:14 PM, April 11, 2006  

  • beautiful post. have an excellent pesach

    By Blogger Lvnsm27, at 12:29 PM, April 11, 2006  

  • Chag Kasher v'Sameach to you all.

    Enjoy.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 11:49 PM, April 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats