.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Day 12: In the Name of Those Who Spoke

My family was lucky, half of the them survived.

I don't understand the Holocaust. I dare not presume to ascribe meaning to a depth of human suffering I have no comprehension of. So I am silent.

But my great grandmother is dead, so are her sisters and brother. They can no longer speak.

So should I be silent? Dare I be silent?

Of what should I speak?
- That man may be reduced to an animal.
- Lest we forget.
- Of being numbered rather than named.

No, there's something better to be said.

One who says an idea in the name of the one who taught it, brings the geulah closer.

So what did my great grandmother, Rivka bat Yehudah, teach me?

To work is good,
to work often is better,
and to work for the good of others, best of all.

So, maybe the geulah is a little closer now.

7 Comments:

  • Thank you for a beautiful post and for giving me at least one clear message to take away from this confusing day.

    By Blogger ayala, at 7:33 PM, April 25, 2006  

  • I've spent my whole life trying to comprehend it...

    By Blogger David_on_the_Lake, at 10:42 PM, April 25, 2006  

  • I really appreciated your post. I like the end best of all -because you are correct, I believe. You have made the geula nearer by your remembrance, mourning, message, and silence.

    By Blogger Okee, at 12:07 AM, April 27, 2006  

  • This post brought a tear to my eye. Beautiful.

    By Blogger Eshet Chayil, at 10:55 AM, April 27, 2006  

  • My mother is a holocaust survivor and she told me that throughout the holocaust she just kept asking the same thing over and over again..... Why? Why? Why?

    By Blogger A Frum Idealist, at 1:15 PM, April 27, 2006  

  • This really touched my heart. My grandparents lived through the holocaust but they lost their entire families aside from two sisters. My grandparents never spoke about it so I can't say how they felt about it. I know it affected them greatly and they dealt with it in ways I can never understand. At least I have a morsel of positivity coming when reading things like you just wrote. Puts things into some kind of perspective....

    By Blogger FrumGirl, at 5:07 PM, April 27, 2006  

  • Touching, my grandmother went through it. Visit my blog.

    By Blogger socialworker/frustrated mom, at 9:18 PM, April 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats