.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Monday, February 20, 2006

On Being Good PR

[Note: More of the continuing contemplations of graduating]

Every once in a while, one of my scholarships requires that I go off and be PR for the college. Smile and talk about the great classes, challenging majors, and opportunities of this great university.

So I do it.

But I don't want to be here.

I came to college for one simple reason. I promised my parents. Standard deal.
I got four more months of Israel.
They got four years of an accredited college.
I still think it was a bargain.

So is this all so much hypocrisy?

I'm not sure.

I don't lie, the classes are good. The library is fantastic. The professors are really quite decent and for the vast majority of these high school kids from everywhere in the country, it's not a bad place at all.

So what about the Jewish kids?

Well, what about them?

Why shouldn't this be a good place for them? It's got a big Hillel, big Jewish population in general, somewhere is the thousands. The Jewish life is active, very active. A Jewish couple from my old shul was on the front page of the school newspaper, today and the lead article was about being shomer negiah. (I couldn't make this up even if I wanted to.)

So what am I selling to the Jewish kids as I stand there in my long sleeves and skirt discussing majors and scholarships and the joys of academic research. Some sort of Torah U'Madda? Frum and cool? Educated and learned? You too, can survive and thrive in the college environment.

It's true, in a caveoted sort of way.

Even if they can't see the invisible boundaries that I've drawn through my life, the apartment my roommate plastered with pesukim and my beloved bookshelves. Even if they don't know the difference between the Masmida in seminary and as she is now.

So am I a hypocrite?
I'm still not sure.
But perhaps this is G-d's way of forcing me to find the good in my own unwanted education.

9 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats