.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Monday, January 02, 2006

The Not So Giving Boy

This book makes me cry and want to scream at the same time.

The selfless tree, the selfish man. (this better not be a parable for something else)

The tree just gives her fruit, her leaves, her branches, her trunk, giving and giving, all because she loves the boy/man. Until the day comes where all that is left of her is a mutilated trunk and then he plunks down his behind and sits on her.

The only way to redeem the whole farce is that the boy's dead body is buried beneath her roots and rots into fertilizer and actually returns some small part of what she given. That's how angry this book makes me.

The tree understands what love is. Love is when you give, openly, without thought of return, simply because the one you love needs it. So, she gives.

But it seems the boy doesn't. Because when someone loves you, all they want to do is give to you. And if you love them, you'll take because you know how much pleasure it gives them. And the taking becomes a gift.

The selflessness makes me cry because its being given to....

The boy who takes, because he needs and he wants and doesn't come back until he needs something again.

The ingratitude makes me want to scream.

12 Comments:

  • As a chosson said about his kallah at a sheva brachos I was at today (Yes, the same one I blogged about):

    "She's told me so many times. 'You don't give in order to get. You give in order to get the chance to keep on giving.'"

    An incredible mantra, hm?

    By Blogger Stx, at 11:37 PM, January 02, 2006  

  • Gorgeous. Thank You.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 12:04 AM, January 03, 2006  

  • lesson learned. boys suck; find a man, correct?

    By Blogger yakki, at 2:42 AM, January 03, 2006  

  • I think the book represents parents, they give and kids don't even realize how time, efforts energy and money is invested in them. How are they paid back? By letting them baby-sit their children.

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 3:30 AM, January 03, 2006  

  • these are words in the end you get married have sex 4 times amonth get a morgtage nad pay bills
    sorry but true come visit me you honey

    By Blogger Datingmaster, Jerusalem, at 5:10 AM, January 03, 2006  

  • Yakki- close. this is something of my definition for a man.

    Prag- I guess I'm so fixated on my phase of life that I forgot about that.

    DJ-
    Stop using comments to promote your own blog. Let your material speak for itself

    By Blogger Masmida, at 9:58 AM, January 03, 2006  

  • "And the tree was happy...but not really."

    A family I know quotes that line all the time. It's the meaning of the whole book.

    By Blogger Chana, at 11:54 AM, January 03, 2006  

  • very nice analogy. A giver is truly a taker. Try this: This past Thursday, I did something that I had never done before. I bought the bus driver (who I had never seen until I got on) a jelly dough-nut. I got a warm feeling inside just giving it.
    (But who knows; in this day and age maybe he didn't eat it b/c it could be poisoned...)

    By Blogger ms. shtark, at 4:28 PM, January 03, 2006  

  • Remember when children's books taught values?

    By Blogger Josh, at 7:44 PM, January 04, 2006  

  • Remember when adult books did as well?

    By Blogger Masmida, at 9:39 PM, January 04, 2006  

  • I think the book does offer an important value. The tree may understand what love is but not what a relationship is. That kind of unconditional love is hurtful.

    Then again, I think pragmitician may be right. The tree is a parent.

    By Anonymous David, at 9:51 PM, January 05, 2006  

  • i've always thought that the tree's giving was not good, that the tree was an enabler.

    *

    but don't we act selfishly at times?
    and isn't everything given to us from Gd?

    By Anonymous michael, at 3:11 AM, January 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats