.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Monday, January 23, 2006

The Better Part of Silence

[I think I've been due one of these for quite a while now]

Idlly playing with my fork, as I listened to the rabbi's daughter describe her little red-haired son.
"Such a sharp boy."
Smiling and wondering why everyone else at the table is wearing a black suit.
Had I accidentally wandered over to the men's side?
Did someone die and no one told me?
Or is this whole wedding entirely too black for me?
"I hear your brother is coming home Pesach-time. How long is he staying?" says the girl on the far side of me.
"Until he gets married." answers the rabbi's daughter.
"That would be what? December?"
"Something like that. I'm not taking any calls until February."
"Better call the first then" she laughs
So this is the difference between boys and girls.

Sitting between the two, I decided that valor is the better part of silence and sent a silent prayer to G-d to lend me some emunah for a while, for I fear what I have is not nearly enough.

6 Comments:

  • It feels like its an unfair world, doesnt it? To quote a line from the movie "Titanic"... "We are women, our choices are never easy". Masmida... I hear you. I know it doesnt stand for much but it is all I can offer you... some understanding.

    By Blogger FrumGirl, at 6:01 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • Frumgirl:

    Here's something for you- Em (mother) is the same letters as Im (if) why?

    Im zeh o'Im zeh?
    This or this.

    The role of a mother is to say yes or no, to make the many difficult choices.

    Thanks I appreciate the thought

    By Blogger Masmida, at 6:18 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • and what if "this or this" means women are fickle?

    By Blogger yakki, at 6:26 PM, January 23, 2006  

  • Aww.touched a chord...
    We have our moments of darkness...it can come at any..for any reason...when the time comes and u find your zivvug...this dark time..will be like a dream..
    Hang in there...we need you..

    By Blogger David_on_the_Lake, at 10:56 AM, January 24, 2006  

  • Was a Shidduch made at that very table?

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 11:21 AM, January 24, 2006  

  • Yakki-
    I apologize the translation should be
    If this or if this.
    In other words, a choice.

    Whether or not women are fickle in that choice....

    But it's only b/c of who i am that i dare quote
    "Nashim Daitem Ka'lot"

    David-

    Thanks. You need me?
    I need me! I need to be a normal person again without all this stuff driving me nuts.

    Prag-
    Nope. Not for lack of trying but his sister made it very clear she was not going to talk about it.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 1:18 PM, January 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats