.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Sunday, December 04, 2005

On the Giving of Gifts

Jews get Chanuka gelt.

Every year as my mother leans over and kisses me on top of my head and gives me a white envelope. A dollar for every year I've been her daughter.

But as the world screams "Gifts, Gifts, Gifts!" I find the gift giving bewildering. Gift wrapping and oversized boxes, holiday sales and come get the watchamacallit now. Is it required for admission? Is every waiting in a frenzy to find out how many gifts they're going to get. Do they have some sort of rating system. price*coolness*number*number-of-cousins-removed-two-degrees*how-many-shots-you've-had?

It's not that I don't appreciate a gift. But the dollars from my mother, I know are just tokens. just money. not an embodiment of our whole relationship.

If all I got were dollars.... I'd rather not have them at all.

1 Comments:

  • Don't spend those dollars, ask her to sign ang date them... then save them and give them to your children grandchildren.. etc. like a heirloom. By adding to her tradition you will value her thoughtful gift and increase the sentiment.

    By Blogger Littleredridinghoodie, at 12:04 PM, December 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats