.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Sunday, December 25, 2005

No Sabbath for You!

[Note: Installment the Second of Masmida's adventures in the land of higher education]

At the beginning of my college career, there was................ the orientation, welcome to your major class. Naturally the most convenient time was, Friday afternoon from 4:00 - 6:00 PM. Required.

and so I went to the secretary,
who sent me to the department head,
who sent me to the provost,
who sent me to the professor,
who happened to be Muslim.

and so I found myself sitting politely, listening to a lecture on one's personal decisions and values, and how every one of us has to decide what's more important in life, and well, his holy day in fact Friday. and on and on and on.

As I listened, I must admit, I smirked. The idea of some silly class that this farce of a bureauracy requires for every major as more important than my Sabbath, was simply too deliciously absurd to be completely serious.

I'm afraid I spaced out a bit in the middle, wondering at this world full of people who live in a time full of being well... productive and never take breaks. A professor who worked every sabbath of his life.

The long pause snaps my attention back. He repeats the question, will I be attending class. I give him my most brilliant smile and tell I appreciate his concern and that I will be happy to tape lectures and copy notes and contact each professor and hand in work early ecetera, ecetera ecetera but I'm afraid I will be missing all classes after the clocks change. Flash another smile.

He pauses, unsure that he's really understood what I've said. Then he harummphed and said, "well of course, but....." and we arranged exactly what I would be working on instead.

"Between me and You, G-d, this day is a sign forever"

1 Comments:

  • Very interesting post. This is why I'm glad I went to YU (and why I'm glad my daughter's in Stern).

    However, the rest of my life has not been so simple. We do make choices. You will need to decide if you want to keep that major in that school...

    By Blogger PsychoToddler, at 8:40 PM, December 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats