.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

What Else is Happening?

Amid satin skirts, and miles of white tableclothes and napkins and tulle, I saw an old friend of mine. Drawing away from the queue in front of my friend, the kallah, the queen, we retreated from the flood of "mazal tov" to catch up.
"Nu, so how are things?"

"Baruch Hashem, I'm working, I'm at school, I'm just recovering from the chagim, what about you?"

"Thank G-d, can't complain"

[pause]

"So how are things........"

And then the flood gates open, dating is so horrible for the midot. too picky, not picky enough, what is 'shiach' anyway?! hate when there's to long between dates, checking out, not checking out..... no horror stories..... but no miricle stories, either.

and we laugh and commiserate, and try to avoid the itching feeling as more and more of our friend show up, shaitels on their heads, laughing and talking about their apartments, their neighbors, their families.

and then in frustration I turned to my friend and asked, "So what else is happening?"

My friend, turns back to me, as confusion flashes across her faces, and then she starts laughing, not demur giggles or polite chuckles but deep, warm laughter and soon, I'm laughing with her. We try to hold it in, as people turn to look at us, but the laughter keeps coming.

So, nu, what else is happening?

3 Comments:

  • Finally...someone who understands...!

    By Blogger Stx, at 7:54 PM, November 09, 2005  

  • You mean that horrible feeling like everybody's looking at you, when in truth you're staring at them wishing it was your husband calling for you from the other side of the mechitza, wishing that you couldn't dance because you had to take care of your newborn...

    Like Seseme Street. One of these things is not like the other...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:56 PM, November 09, 2005  

  • No, I know all my married friends are far too busy to pay any sort of real attention to us.

    It was a moment that I think alot of singles out there would appreciate.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 9:41 PM, November 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats