.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Overeducated and Undertaught

I always wondered, what happened when all these highly educated Jewish women left seminary and Stern to go out into the rest of life. I knew that significant portion of them got engaged, 'went fluffy' and then got married and had kids and didn't have time to think again until their youngest was eight.

I knew some of them went on and taught and became truely knowlegable, after these were the women teaching me.

But now I'm wondering about the rest of the group, the ones that don't get married [at least within six monthes of seminary] and don't teach. Three years out of seminary, I've seen girls who don't open a chumash from shabbos to shabbos, and girls who do chumash and rashi every day and argue any idea backwards and forewards. But mostly I've seen girls who are frustrated.

Most of the shiurim are for women with children, who have a hour a week and would like to hear some advice and stories and be reminded that there is a human being at the end of all the diapers. That's good and that's fine, and that's what they need.

.... in some ways, I know hijacking a shiur by asking questions that most of the women can't follow isn't fair to them and it is their shuir.

I want to go to a shiur where I can work at an idea. I spend all day working in a highly intellectual enviroment, and I know that if I don't keep my intellectual understanding of Torah on at least a compreable level, my Judaism will grow soft and flimsy.
Looking at the world through the eyes of Torah, requires that constantly reexamining torah, turning ideas over and over inside your head to match the depth of to which life is experienced.

or rather simply, I want to understand torah like a twenty-something year old not a thirty five year old. [that'll have to wait a few years]

3 Comments:

  • "and make the classes challenging enough that I don't go to shuir so I can relax after finishing an assignment from my secular classes."

    Do you means so that you DO go to shiur so you can relax after class?

    If that is what you meant, why did you pick learning Torah as your hobby? There are many more things you can choose to relax, like let's say, shopping. I find that girls that are too involved in "learning Torah" become a bit weird in how they relate to society in general, particularly men. But then again your entitled to be intellectual all you want. It is your perogative as a woman.

    By Blogger EN, at 10:46 PM, November 02, 2005  

  • Better?

    Shopping? you're suggesting rather than developing my spritual side, I should be out aquiring more vanities.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 11:03 PM, November 02, 2005  

  • I like the correction, it is much easier to understand what you mean now. Nice insight.

    By Blogger EN, at 1:23 PM, November 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats