.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Other People's Dreams

As a rule I don't post about dates, the Jewish world is far too small for attempts at true anonymity, and when I meet the guy I marry, I want all the memories and the moments to be private, not for public consumption.

That having been said....

I will post about people....
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. - W.B. Yeats

The men we date, most of the guys I've dated have been relatively poor. Guys in their last years of college, in grad school, just starting to work. All they have is dreams, the dream of the man they wish to become, the dream of what the home they would rather come back to, the dream of the job they would reach for. They are very raw and unfinished, just like us women.

The best of them have their feet firmly on the ground and are struggling to achieve, using will and energy to conquer all obstacles. But there comes a conciousness that they can't achieve there are obstacle that cannot yeild to a single person.

So boys and girls date and marry and become men and women.

Men give women so much, just look at the ketubah, the t'namim, but the most frightenly fragile gift they give us, is their dreams. They trust us with so much of who they are and what they are, they trust our belief in them.

A lesson learnt the hard way: be gentle with other people's dreams.

1 Comments:

  • Well said, sometimes a dream, even an unlikely one, is the only thing one has to grasp for a hope of a better future. Don't anyone dare and crush that hope.

    By Blogger Pragmatician, at 6:53 AM, November 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats