.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Friday, November 11, 2005

An Ambition

I want to be 70.

I now that sounds crazy in a world where 60 year-olds try to look forty, and forty tries to look twenty and twenty tries to look like seventeen, the ultimate moment of beauty. [what happened to maturity of beauty is a whole different disscusion]

I want to be a 70 year old Yiddshe Bubbe.

Alright, I'll pass on the the heavy accent and the 'achh. if you had my knee, you wouldn't say such things.' and the shapeless sweaters.

But I want to have healthy, strong, thriving children who are changing the world one family at a time, and energetic, idealistic grandchildren who come over to sneak cookies out of my kitchen and play in my apartment.

I want to sit on my porch in a rocking chair, next to my husband and take satisfaction in the sun and the home and the community we've built around us.

I want to have the strength that comes from decades of simply dealing with life.

I want to have the wisdom and the strength of that age that would allow to give and give well, with a eye to the future and familiarity with the past.

3 Comments:

  • How about the ability to speak your mind freely and people letting you get away with it "'coz she is old"!

    By Blogger Karl, at 8:17 PM, November 12, 2005  

  • Finally!

    An age at which I can tell people the truth and they take it to heart or scratch their heads and say

    "a bit daft isn't she?"

    By Blogger Masmida, at 8:26 PM, November 12, 2005  

  • Just be yourself. At whatever age.
    Don't leave it until then though.
    (I wish I'd take my own musser to heart!)

    So what are you waiting for? get married and move to that porch with the rocking chair.

    By Blogger Karl, at 8:30 PM, November 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats