.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Misirat Nefesh

[Transliteration is pathetic but necessary]

Every time there's a bombing and we as a nation, sit and do our spiritual arithmetic to find out where this dusty, downtrodden nation have surprassed us. And the answer is in their sacrifices, a willingness to immolate themselves and their own children on fire of their own making.

We, well, I, am very comfortable and not eager to give up any of my pleasent little amenities.

But.... these past two weeks and two weeks to come when I stand alone and work night after night into the pale hours of dawn, miss class after class and midterms, as we turn through the chagim. If the anguish and the frustration, the stress and despair, that swirl through my world as I attempt impossible deadlines are not my own personal sacrifice....

G-d, I know hundreds of your children doing this. We pay in sweat and tears, sleep and peace of mind, for keeping your moedim, to walk away from the world and join You at the set times in the 'small scantuaries' that dot our exile. Please, remember this and don't make us pay in blood.

9 Comments:

  • Chill, you sound like a smart girl, you'll do fine. Don't let college get to you, enjoy the yom tov. If you will be thinking how many classes you missed you wont have simchas yom tov. There is life besides college you know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 AM, October 16, 2005  

  • I hear you, hun. Trust me I'm going through the same ordeal. Good luck.

    By Blogger Eli7, at 10:26 AM, October 16, 2005  

  • Thanks for the support, guys.

    I ignore college on Yom Tov. It's just when its not Yom Tov that it gets me.

    You mean, there's something beyond homework.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 10:34 AM, October 16, 2005  

  • I soooo hear you! Ditto, also-I love Yom Tov, but dread it ending...when I have to write all the papers to hand in early, study for the exams I'm missing, and make up the millions of notes....

    By Blogger TRW, at 10:46 AM, October 16, 2005  

  • "there's something beyond homework"
    No, I meant college. Like family.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:08 AM, October 16, 2005  

  • Any given person is more important than any given homework problem. double for family and people you have a personal responsiblity toward.

    But the homework problems are more than just a couple points for my grade at the moment, it's a demonstration to the rest of the world that I will not comprimise on my religon but I'm not irresponsible either.

    So my family is off to my grandma's 65th birthday and I'm attempting 18 proofs inside of 24 hours.

    I have a life outside of college. A pretty active one. That I've put on hold during weekdays now, so that I can devote chag entirely to all those other things

    like family,
    and learning
    and arguing with my friends
    and reading 'One fish, Two fish' to my little sister
    and think deep complicated thoughts about the nature of truth

    but right now, electrodynamics is due in 24 hours and counting.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 11:19 AM, October 16, 2005  

  • Well if that is the case, good luck on your homework! Kol Hakavod to you. May you be zoche to make that kiddush Hashem!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 AM, October 16, 2005  

  • Thanks, man. Good luck for you to.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 11:52 AM, October 16, 2005  

  • You put in your hishtadlut and G-d will provide. You can't do more than you are able so don’t fret about it. (I know it sounds easier than it is.) I have been there, done that, and realize the few extra marks gained by an extra draft, is not worth the short-term enjoyment of Yom Tov or the long-term gain of Spiritual growth.

    Or maybe talk to your teachers/ professors/ lectures, explain the whole Jewish festival season to them and ask for an extension. You could always claim racial discrimination if you have a deadline that is too short over the chagim.
    Hatzlocha.

    By Blogger Karl, at 8:23 AM, October 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats