.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Running on Jewish Time

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

On being a Mother

Do I really want to have kids?

Want... no not really. Need to have.......... definite Yes.
This is not a halachic debate or disscusion, I know purely technically I don't have an obligation to have kids because it's dangerous [before or afterward is really the question of what is going to kill you]. It's not about the survival of the Jewish people, G-d will make sure the Jewish people survives, try to worry about the Jew next to you surviving. It''s about me and my own personal wrestling with the idea of spending 30+ years creating human beings from some two cells, and whole lot of work.

So I reiterate: I don't want children but I need them.

Its the same deal as with davening scharit, are there pale murky gray morning, where it hurts to get out of bed and the last thing I want to do is extoll the L-rd that created this morning for creating the rooster to wake us up. Do I do anyway, of course because I need to, because I wouldn't be the self I want to be without it. 

Like going to Israel, like the few dozen moments scattered through my head where I stood at the fork of the road, set my jaw and choose what I knew to be right rather than what I wanted to.

So I need children, I need to spend those sleepless nights, walking back and forth coaxing the baby to sleep, chase after five year olds to get their shoes on their feet,  reminding eight year olds to clean up under the bed also, setting curfews and discussing life with burning adolescents to become the person who can do all that.
and that person is what I really want

5 Comments:

  • great blog

    By Blogger Lvnsm27, at 3:49 AM, August 25, 2005  

  • I love your blog and thought provoking posts. B"h I found it before Elul so I was zoche to read your posts from last year.

    By Blogger EN, at 9:41 AM, August 25, 2005  

  • Thanks, Encouragement is always welcome.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 12:15 PM, August 26, 2005  

  • i appreciate the honesty of your post, but something in its tone upsets me. i would not want to be the child of a mother who prefers her freedom but endures me so that she can become a better person.
    when i offer my lackluster prayers on the grey morning i don't think that i have found the meaning of prayer, but instead feel badly that i have so missed its meaning that this is the best i have to offer. so too if raising children is avodas hamidos, i think i may have missed its meaning.

    By Blogger t, at 4:05 PM, August 26, 2005  

  • You're right. That's the person I want to be. A mother who loves and recognizes the amazing oppurtunity that her children present and pour herself into them.

    By Blogger Masmida, at 7:12 PM, August 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


 
Free Website Counters
Free Counter
web stats